Saturday, April 18, 2015

The Lady in the Ladybug by Sharona Black

sold on amazon.com and Kindle

My newest book, which is like a newborn. I created it and named it. Will people like it? The cover is great and received many compliments.

A huge chicken riding in a red Mustang convertible going up a hill with huge watermelons and pumpkins on sides of the road. An enormous ladybug is on top the hill below the lavender sky.

Sugar Martin is driving. She works her organic farm in the state of Coronado in the Southwest. I named it after the Spanish explorer. Why shouldn't a state be named after him anyway?

She is wearing a black and red driving cap, and the artist put on the tag, Sugar. That was a nice touch.

In the introduction I wrote about the influences that created the book.  Working in the grocery business for 20 years brought a lot of ideas. A woman who drove an old pickup, wore rubber boots and was quite the character frequented the store. She bought powdered milk in boxes and she said they sure do insulate a chicken coop good and do we in the store want her to save us boxes to insulate our chicken coops? She was so serious.

I had the first few chapters completed when I met my boyfriend for 8 months. Two months into the relationship, he was told he had liver cancer. We went to New Mexico. He was hell bent on working. So there, I took in the Southwest, trying to cope with this awful disease, and wondering if there was a magical cure somewhere in some mystical shop.  So that gave me the idea of food curing diseases. Was it the soil that gave food that healing miracle? Or from elsewhere. Asteroids were always in the news. I remember my parents telling of a boom and the sky brightened for a few seconds one night.  So what was that? An asteroid? Space junk?  I did see space junk one night.

A few years earlier in my town of Smith Center, transcendental meditation believers came in, and the store put in organic food, since we thought the movement would gain and grow. But it didn't.

So many ideas formed in my head, and then what was Sugar Martin, or Roxy Roxalena really like? Then I found her background. I really don't remember what influenced that.

The book is $10.00 and I premiered the paperback at The Chicken Festival in Smith Center on April 4. Despite a cool morning, and a persistent wind, I sold 6 copies.



No comments:

Post a Comment